CITY OF SALEM, MASSACHUSETTS, BOARD OF HEALTH
DECLARATION OF PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY – EMERGENCY ORDER
STARTING ON MAY 12, 2020
1) All members of the public entering any essential business as defined by Governor Baker’s Covid-19 Executive Orders, including but not limited to grocery stores, pharmacies, home improvement stores and the like must wear a cloth face covering, such as a fabric mask, scarf or bandana, over his or her nose and mouth. The cloth face coverings recommended are not surgical masks or N-95 respirators, which should be left for medical professionals and first responders. See this link for information on making a cloth face covering: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-fac….
2) All members of the public entering a restaurant for the purpose of picking up food for take-out must wear a face covering over their nose and mouth.
3) All employees of all essential businesses shall wear a face covering over their mouth and nose when interacting with the public and within six feet of a co-worker. Employers and employees must use previously prescribed protocols and guidelines for personal protective equipment such as gloves. See this protocol at: https://www.salem.com/sites/salemma/files/pages/protocols.pdf.
4) Any resident or member of the general public entering or exiting a residential or commercial building complex of greater than one (1) unit must wear a face covering over their nose and mouth while in common areas and communal spaces and must exercise social distancing in these spaces in accordance with CDC guidelines. See these guidelines at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/social-di….
5) a. Essential retail establishments as defined by Governor Baker’s Covid-19 Executive Orders must limit the number of customers and staff inside the establishment at any given time so that social distancing of six feet may be maintained. All retail establishments must establish maximum occupancy loads in accordance with the “Guidance for Grocery Stores” issued by the Massachusetts Commissioner of Public Health on April 7, 2020. See this order at: https://www.mass.gov/doc/order-grocery-stores-40-percent/download. Maximum occupancy shall be posted at each entrance to the establishment and shall be readily visible to members of the public.
b. An employee of the retailer shall be designated to ensure the maximum number of individuals inside of the store is not exceeded. Customers queued outside of the store must maintain a minimum of six feet distance.
c. Any portions of the store requiring extra staffing solely dedicated to services that are deemed nonessential pursuant to Governor Baker’s Covid-19 Executive Orders shall be closed.
d. Reusable shopping bags are prohibited. Single-use bags are permitted and shall be provided at no extra cost to customers.
6) Operation of Ice Cream Trucks is Prohibited. Ice cream trucks will not be permitted to operate in the City of Salem until the Public Health Emergency declaration issued by the Salem Board of Health has been lifted. Brick and mortar establishments serving ice cream will be allowed to operate in accordance with the Governor’s Directive if effective social distancing measures are implemented.
This emergency order shall be effective beginning SUNDAY, APRIL 12, 2020 AT 12:01AM and remain in effect until notice is given, pursuant to the Board of Health’s judgement, that the Public Health Emergency no longer exists.
To the extent necessary, this Order shall be enforced by Board of Health officials, Salem Police Officers and Building Inspectors.
ORDERED at City Hall this 9th day of April 2020
David Greenbaum, Health Agent, Salem Board of Health
For more information: (978) 741-1800